“I came, I saw, I shagged them all rotten, baby!”

Date September 4, 2008

Sorry for the suggestive title but I couldn’t help myself.

This interview is full of lots of good tidbits but especially the part about our dear Jane (cakelulu) and her fangirlie cake she made for MJ and presented to him in Toronto on 7-26.

Full Article

Michael’s interview portion below…

With Michael Johns and Chikezie calmly awaiting their interview turn, a tour staffer asks them which will go next. Johns rises from the table and comes in my direction. “We have a history,” he tells the staffer, referring to our brief conversation in the lobby prior to the interview. “Our two-minute history?” I ask. “That’s enough for me,” he cackles as he takes a seat in the same spot where remnants of Carly Smithson’s club soda, now dried, landed.

Our first exchange is a personal one. A lifelong fan of Australian super group INXS, I am well aware that Johns is also a fan. I find out in our conversation that he will be writing with Andrew Farriss, musician and songwriter of INXS, in the coming months upon the close of the tour. A solo album is in the works with a single release date slated for the end of 2008 and an album release date of early next year.

The married Johns, 29, is, at 6’3″, tall and well-suited for his tennis hobby. Formerly known as Michael Lee on the musical circuit, Johns has been involved with various bands, namely the now-defunct The Rising. His passion for music is evident.

Hearkening back to Johns’ first performance during Idol’s ’60s week, where he did a sultry interpretation of ‘Light My Fire’ by The Doors, Johns tells me that their ‘Love Me Two Times’ describes him the best. He laments at how he would do nothing differently if given the chance to relive his Idol experience, save for how the sound of his rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Go Your Own Way’ during ’70s week sounded to television audiences. “Somehow, my performance that week got screwed up. The backing singers, you couldn’t hear ’em. What you guys heard on the TV isn’t actually the sound in the room.”

Regarding criticism from judges Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul for his song choices, like The Beatles’ ‘A Day in the Life,’ Johns balks. “I respect them, but didn’t care what they said. For me, I literally never chose a song based on ‘Oh, they’re gonna love this.’ Their comments did not affect me one way or the other.”

Johns expresses his interest in involving himself with charities like Muscular Dystrophy and Lou Gehrig’s Disease. Not yet a father, Johns would love to be a Big Brother. He smiles as he tells me of playing songs for children at a children’s hospital, giving them a chance to get out of their rooms and escape from their illness if only for a bit.

A fan of former Idol contestant LaKisha Jones, Johns speaks fondly of his own fans. He pulls out his cell phone and shows me photos of a cake made by a lady named Jane. The cake was adorned with figurines in a circle, with one representing Johns in the middle as the singer. The intricate design of her work was captured in a few photos that he proudly shared.

He recalls how, during a lightning round of questions in a previous interview, he was asked if he preferred a Mac or PC. His reply that he did not have a laptop led to a group of his fans to chip in and buy him a MacBook. Appreciative of such a gesture yet embarrassed that they had spent such money, Johns tells me that they did so, “so I could blog more, reply to them quicker.”

It is evident why others describe Johns as ‘fun.’ Previously warned by Smithson and Cook of my epitaph question, Johns puts on his best Australian attempt at a British Austin Powers accent and says, “I came, I saw, I shagged them all rotten, baby!”

Smithson chimes in, “You can’t put that in a magazine!”

Johns retorts, “Why not?”

And, with that, it’s Chikezie’s turn.

17 Responses to ““I came, I saw, I shagged them all rotten, baby!””

1. fu-fu said at September 4th, 2008, 9:50 pm: ()

“I came, I saw, I shagged them all rotten, baby!” Yeah, baby, yeah! Great, great interview! So happy he still has the photos of Jane’s masterpiece on his cellphone! And the Mac? Your fans are happy to spoil you, Michael! OMG! And the charity work? Could he be a more perfect man? Did I mention how much I love this interview?!

2. Titina said at September 4th, 2008, 10:55 pm: ()

I am going to sound like a complete and total idiot but what does:

“I came, I saw, I shagged them all rotten, baby!” really mean?
    Sorry for being so clueless. I am not from USA.

3. Pamela/Grey Skies said at September 4th, 2008, 11:06 pm: ()

To put it in the most polite way possible, to shag someone is to have sex with them.

4. Titina said at September 4th, 2008, 11:18 pm: ()

Oh man, thanks! I feel so stupid ha, ha.

5. cakelulu said at September 4th, 2008, 11:48 pm: ()

LOL at the Austin Powers epitaph!!!! That is hilarious!!!
    Loved the mention of the charity work, especially with sick children!!
    I am very excited that he will be writing with Andrew Farriss and can’t wait for the CDs to come out!!!

…and thank-you so much for the cake mention MJ!!! You have such a lovely and kind heart!

6. goldhilites said at September 5th, 2008, 1:03 am: ()

I imagine the recaps if he actually had!

7. Susan (mysuse) said at September 5th, 2008, 2:00 am: ()

He loves us……He really does 🙂 thanks so much for being so appreciative of our Jane and that great cake. …not to mention the computer. He is so sweet. He couldn’t be any sexier or any funnier. I cannot wait for him to release that first song so we can help him and push it to the STARS BABY!!! Love you, Mikey!
    p.s. I did want to talk to him about the “Go Your Own Way” song when I met him at the After Party in Dallas. I bought everything I could get my hands on from ITunes that has Mikey singing and made a few CD’s that are worn out at this point. Everytime I hear that song, I get ticked because it sounds like the band, etc. all stopped short of the end of the song. However, being the PROFESSIONAL that he is… he finishes the song PERFECTLY. You didn’t quite catch that when you first heard it on A.I. I wanted to ask him, hey…what’s up with that???.. I wanted to ask him about the song Cradle and tell him I thought it was perfection!!!

8. Susan (mysuse) said at September 5th, 2008, 2:08 am: ()

P.S. I just had to had fact that one of my favorite things about Michael is his big heart. He shows he really cares about the the less fortunate. I have seen several pictures of him taken next to children in wheelchairs. I love him for that. Singing for children in hospitals….etc. He is the best.

9. Tara said at September 5th, 2008, 6:02 am: ()

Yea, Baby! Go Your Own Way was awesome, My DVR got worn out from replaying it so much. Thanks for showing our fangirl, Jane, appreciation!

10. bear said at September 5th, 2008, 6:29 am: ()

Our man has it all! Looks, personality, humour, and the BIGGEST HEART one could ask for !! We love you MJ!!

ABTW…you should be Jane’s official spokesperson for her cakes!! You’d be perfect for the task, and her first choice for sure!!

11. D said at September 5th, 2008, 6:42 am: ()

Michael Johns; why so awesome? GOD, save some quotes for the rest of us.

12. Donna/mamala said at September 5th, 2008, 7:19 am: ()

^LOL@D!
    I agree with bear…..what a combination! Talent, looks, personality, humor and HEART!! Not to mention that he’s a dancing machine!
    What’s not to love???

13. pdlove/Mum on Lock Down said at September 5th, 2008, 8:51 am: ()

I just love these interviews!!! Cakelulu, your infamous cake will forever be one of the true highlights of this tour 🙂 Giving back to the children…just another example of how very special Michael is-what a guy!!! Ps-I was a/am a HUGH fan of LaKisha Jones…I loved her on AI and felt she has not been given a fair shake.

14. Chelle said at September 5th, 2008, 9:44 am: ()

MADE. OF. WIN.

15. susanna said at September 5th, 2008, 11:53 am: ()

sighhh. He’s so awesome! Love him!!

16. molly474 said at September 5th, 2008, 1:20 pm: ()

love that interview!!! and go your own way was fabulous…. with or without the backup singers. also, congrats jane on mj mentioning your AMAZING cake!!

17. Evelyn Borda said at September 19th, 2008, 3:37 am: ()

Go your own way…one of Michael’s best in AI for me….yep, with or without the band!!!!